Monday, November 18, 2013

What autism really is

Written by Neurodivergent K

Originally posted at Radical Neurodivergence Speaking

So Suzanne Wright from Autism$peaks sent out more of the same hatemongering that was tired before her grandson was even born, about how autism is terrible because the faaaaaaaaaaaamilies and we might eat food from the fridge or something and that's the worst thing ever.

That is not what autism is.

This is autism:

one very fair skinned female presenting person with light brown hair & a pink hoodie and a pink and purple haired fair skinned person with glasses, an orange shirt, and a white shoulder riding cat

Autism is friendship, the kind you can only have when you meet someone who is like you. Allistic people don't so much understand what that is, because they expect that most people are on their wavelength. But Autistic people know how special that is, because it is rare and it is precious. Someone who understands intuitively, who speaks your language, is worth their weight in something way more valuable than gold.

And autism is community that comes together. There's this idea that we can't do that, but that idea is wrong. Never have I ever seen another community that takes care of its own so much. We have our issues, as all communities do, but we also have fierce loyalty and ferociously fight for and care for our own. We know what it is to not have that. Again, we know how beautiful that is once we find it.


Autism is adventure. Or craving it at least. Jumping into that freezing cold water because it was there. And then jumping in again and again because it was freezing but it was a delight every single time. It may not be the normal thing to do, but it was better than normal. It was exhilarating.

Jumping into that water? I felt more alive than I think most people ever do. It was just me, the air, then the water. The sensation of my stomach rising? Stopped time until the water woke me up. It was actual perfection in an experience.

black and white photo of a dark haired fair skinned person doing a leap. their back foot is up by their head and their front knee is bent at an acute angle

Autism is focus. This leap is called a double stag. My focus was right on the sole of my foot, visually speaking. Internally speaking it was only on what I was doing. There was no thought as traditionally described. There was me, music, the mat, and movement. That's it. I can do that. I cannot meditate in the usual sense, but I can become one with movement. Everything else goes away.

So it is when I am focusing on something that I love. The way I love? It is deep. Autism is deep love. People write it off as special interest or obsession, but even if it's not something I can excel at, I can excel at loving what I love, loving what I do, loving who I love. Autism is being able to be consumed by love and interest, it is giving 100% because it is an insult to the thing one loves to give any less. Autism is going big or going home.

Autism is finding myself and losing everything else while jumping, flipping, spinning. And this is the best thing ever.

dark haired fair skinned adult female presenting person and dark haired fairer skinned boy presenting person on a couch. they are smiling and the boy is pressing his forehead and shoulder into the adult

And now we are back to autism is love and community. Autism is also sharing. Autism is knowing people because of autism. My young friend, Leo of Squidalicious fame, shared with me. He shared his iPad and his stims and his love. And he and his family are just a few of the many people I care about deeply who I would not have met if there was no such thing as autism.

No one ever said that being Autistic is easy. But we do say that it's worth it. We're okay. We love and deserve to be loved.

12 comments:

  1. Autism is Love. Yes it is. How beautiful to read of our 'special interests' (how I hate that term) defined as love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful story of your life. You are braver than me for diving into that freezing water over and over again! I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking for a trained dog then ASPCA course will help you in the cure of that individual on the autism spectrum. You just have to visit houlton institute. The organization take action as constant companions to children with autism to help them develop social interactions and associations, teach life skills, and boost awareness in activities and reduce stress within the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autism and Camel Milk

    Desert Farms is always striving to bring you not only the best camel milk around but the most useful information about it products and its benefit to you and your family.
    Austin is a complex developmental disorder due to a disordered neural development characterized by restrictive, repetitive behavior and impaired social interaction and communication. It usually presents before the age of three years and persists for life. The incidence appears to be increasing in the U.S but is persistently low in other parts of the world. It is thought a combination of environmental, genetic or immunologic factors or dietary factors could be all contributing.
    There is currently a cast amount of research on the type of milk and its possible contribution to autism. It has been noted that there a substance in cow’s milk that are normally broken down by the gut of the child and excreted normally, but during gut inflammation these substances are believed to be absorbed and may reach the brain and cause disruption in the normal pathways.
    These substances are not found in human milk and camel milk, which has been found to be the closets substitute to human milk out of all the other consumed milks (cow and goat).
    Desert Farms strives to bring you the best of camel milk, the most notorious and beneficial milk around.

    http://desertfarms.com
    2708 Wilshire Blvd Suite 380
    Santa Monica, CA 90403
    +1 (310) 430 - 2096

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spam comments are hilarious, this is how not to sell your product and how to successfully shoot yourself in the foot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's definitely me. I am a choleric-sanguine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autism is not a dangerous type of health issue. Autism patient needs understanding, care and love. There are natural solutions that can help an autism patient. Dr. Sundardas would like to help you and your kid. We hope that you can visit his website Julie at www.naturaltherapies.com or email us enquiries@sundardasnaturopathy.com so we can discuss natural remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. while it's all still there.- And tell them what?They don't even know she's dead, Raims.Now you tell me she's not going to befound for another http://a2livetv.com/abc-channel-live-streaming/ five years.That's five years of
    hell for these people.- You can't say anything.- How can I not?- Because it's safer if we
    work these leads in 2016,nothing changes that way.- We're going to see them

    ReplyDelete
  9. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DONE FOR MY DAUGHTER?
    My daughter suffered from autism for more than 2 years which we started experiencing in her when she turned 1 year and 5 months we all thought it will end but got even worse as days went by. We tried all several treatments and therapy prescribed by various doctors we met but to no avail, she lost total concentration and always complain of sensitivity to sound . She usually tells me she haves poor eyes contact. This were steady disorder that disrupted her entire life, even at night she slept less because of this.It was during a casual conversation with a friend that i learned about Dr Williams herbal medicine I was able to contact him on his email address. and give him all the necessary information that he needed,few day later he sent me the herbal portion and his medicine was able to restore her back to normal and she is very okay now without any side effects whatsoever. If you have autism, do not hesitate to contact him on drwilliams098765@gmail.com for advice and for his product. I hope this also helps someone out there

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.
    my son have been a patient of autism . I had tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over how many years now but I could not see any improvements in my son symptoms. One day while going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from autism,quickly i contacted him and he prepared a herbal medication for my son which i received and he used it as instructed by dr williams. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the speech delay and the poor eye contact stopped, I would recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from autism.you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098765@gmail.com.for advice and for his product THANKS TO YOU ONCE AGAIN DR WILLIAMS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic autism ,since i was bone , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this illness was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 31 years which result to epilepsy, this was really a terrible ailment ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs Kate on how his son was been cured from autism through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months and two weeks as prescribed by dr williams and i was totally cured of autism within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can visit his blog autismepilepsy.blogspot.com for help

    ReplyDelete